Friday, October 28, 2005

Lunch (1)

If it weren't for my desire to spend more quality time with my colleagues, I would have avoided many unpleasant lunches. There are 2 things about them that I find everyone of us. Something rather obvious and undeniable.

First one, is the weird behaviour of returning to something bad with the knowledge and experience that it's bad. We know the food is lousy and expensive. The boss is angry that we choose to enter their restaurant and pay them money they don't deserve. Not forgetting also their extremely slow delivery and almost predictable forgetfulness...

But still we go, because it's within our comfort zone. We don't really like it, but we don't mind settling for low quality - as long as we are fed. We laugh it all off and pretend to be enjoying ourselves. We somehow manage to distract ourselves and our lunch-mates with petty conversations and rather lame jokes. It's only when we get back to our respective stations that we feel the regret, the loss, and our minds become occupied with "Lunch was bad. Lunch was really bad"... Lunch time has become a routine. It's just something we do in between the working day so that we can get our minds off of our jobs.

Now, if you know me, you know I'm not really talking about lunch, even though I am. I'm talking about the fact that we, humans, tend to settle for the easy, comfortable, safe way of doing things. We tend to dwell upon things that aren't really good, and we don't really care. Why do we settle for the ordinary or the good, when we can go for the best?

I'll leave it as that for now. Do read this. It's really good.

No comments: