Friday, October 14, 2005

Public Transportation - Buses (1)

When I began to work in March, I had to depend on buses for my punctuality. Unfortunately, buses at Sri Sinar, the place I live, doesn't come thick and fast. In fact, it's not countable at all. If I had a choice, I would have not used this form of public transport. But I didn't have a choice, as the train station is not within walking distance... Alright, it is within walking distance - 40 minutes walk!! Unless you want me coming to work filling the office with my body odour.

So now you know that I had to use the bus. Now, bus 29 chooses a different route that will take me an hour to arrive at the office. 43B would be the more reasonable choice as it's 20 minutes faster. 43B doesn't come on time. If you're on it during a non-peak hour, your eyes would probably be able to catch a piece of paper sticking at a window stating the frequency of the bus - it's a lie. Don't count on it, or you'll be disappointed. Over the years, I have learned to accept and manage my expectation. So everytime the bus comes on time, I'm just mighty grateful.

But as you and I both know, life is fairly unfair. You may catch the bus and reach the office on time, but your ride may not be as pleasant as you hope. Many bad things can happen in a bus. In a crowded bus, there will be times when we accidentally cause discomfort to each other.  Then there are possibilities of a bus breakdown - the air-conditioning leaking water resulting in many unsitable seats or even a flat tyre; I have accepted that.What I'm still learning to accept is people not apologizing or acknowledging their mistakes. I say, if you step on someone's foot, say sorry. If the bus can't move anymore, say sorry and refund us. It's not the nature's fault that the bus broke down, it's the company's responsibility!! As simple as that... Why does sorry seem to be a hard word?

What I've learned is this lah, friends- There are times in your life where someone will offend you and not bother to mitigate your loss. Our lives will be so much light and free when we learn not to take offense at little stuff. I suppose it has been good training ground for me.Anyway, I'm taking the train to work now. That's for another day. I'm out.

 

1 comment:

Luke Chan said...

"Managing our expectations"
Good truth...you amazes me.