Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Missing The Point

So now they are questioning the wisdom of broadcasting the UMNO general assembly. They are saying that because of the live feed, people have a misconception of UMNO... I question that reasoning.

I question that reasoning, because I have not watched a minute of the live coverage. I merely read the newspapers' reports, and those alone were enough for me to consider moving away from this country in fear. I fear for my life & my loved one. I fear for the country's development & future. All that emotion & considerations were stirred by merely reading. It wasn't at all about how loud they said it, or how they veins were popping out when they gripped their fists, or the sight of people kissing the keris... It was what they said - the intent & content of those speeches.

So what happens if the same things are said & there's no live coverage?? Don't let reporters write about it?

The Star Online's columnist Wong Chun Wai shares my views. But he concluded that "after all, they get their votes in the general election from not just one but all ethnic groups". It shouldn't be about elections. Not at all. I believe that that mindset is the very thing that causes politicans to play the racial card. It should be about making Malaysia a safer place, creating a better future of our children... where they can live peacefully together with each other, without the ancient wounds that we carry.

No comments: