Monday, March 05, 2007

It Pays To Be Smart

March 1st (Thursday) - I was extremely excited when my laptop's charger could no longer work. Finally there's no way to use the laptop anymore - my company has to get me a new laptop. YES!! After complaining about the daily blue screen (PC's way of showing you the finger) and the occationally uncontrollable mouse cursor, I'll finally be getting a new laptop!! Informed my manager about it & he confirmed that I'll be getting a TOTALLY NEW LAPTOP - NO MORE HAND-ME-DOWNS...

March 2nd (Friday) - Colleagues were asking about when I'll be getting the new laptop. I asked my manager of the laptop's status & he mentioned that the matter has been escalated to the boss. The PO has not been issued, but at least it's getting there. Hopefully my colleagues would be able to put pressure upon the matter & speed up the delivery of my new laptop... haha... this is awesome.

March 5th (Monday):

10.00am - Arrived in the office. Calmly I walk into the room where my new place is. I settled down and casually asked one of my colleagues to provide some documents, since I don't have a PC to work with, I thought I could some reading.

10.10am - I passed by my manager's office with the printed document, so I asked him about the new laptop. Then he said that he hasn't received the quotes - the colleague who's suppose to provide him with the quotes is on MC - and that means that the laptop would only arrive at least 2 weeks later. I told my manager not to worry & that I would just temporarily use a desktop (from the storeroom). I don't know why I said that.

10.12am - I felt the sudden urge to take matters into my own hands. I remember that my colleague's old laptop is the same version as mine (5 year old laptop), and there was also a problem with the charger.

10.20am - I spoke to the colleague to ask him exactly what was wrong with the charger. He told me the plug point - so I figured that the good part of the 2 chargers could combine forces & a miracle would take place.

10.22am - I found the old laptop in the admin's room & proceeded to try combining the 2 charges together. Nothing. I tried something totally unthinkable. I took his charger in its entirety & plugged it into my laptop. And it worked. I was filled with joy, but only for a moment. It suddenly dawned upon me - NO MORE NEW LAPTOP.

It pays to be smart...

No comments: