Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Finger-Giving Laptops.

As I type right now, 3 of my colleagues have got their laptops. 2 of them are given 2 brand new laptops. The other got a second-hand laptop, but I believe it's still much better than this shit I'm typing on right now.

My colleagues have misunderstood me and my intentions. They think I'm bickering and complaining over a small matter. They think I want a new laptop. I don't need a new laptop. All I need is something that is functioning fine. Something that doesn't give me the finger & cause Word to crash. It doesn't matter how old it is. I just want a machine that works perfectly.

When I first started off in this company, I was given a desktop to work with. Even then, it was the lousiest machine in the office. But I had no complains. I could perform my duties with it. Then I started to attend more and more meetings & I had to travel around too, so they felt that I should carry a laptop around. Perhaps they wanted to minimize my errors in the minutes. The first laptop they let me used was a 4th-hand laptop. Occasionally the screen would go crazy & of course there's the blue screens. But I still had the desktop, so all was still good.

Eventually my laptop's screen went totally nuts. But believe it or not, I could still it. If I manage to adjust it perfectly, the screen would be normal again. Other times, I would just hook up a monitor. Of course, by then I stopped talking the laptop into meetings. Otherwise I would have to carry a separate monitor around.

I don't know how long it took, but they finally decided to give me a new laptop. Not as in NEW new - just a different laptop, one that hasn't gone completely crazy. This one has a completely different set of problems, just that no one wanted to be honest about it. On average, the laptop gives me the finger once a day. It comes without warning. So I've learned to press Ctrl + S every other minute. And on every other day, the mouse cursor flies around on its own accord - I would have no control over it. I forced myself to learn to work without the mouse, but dang, this just ain't right.

I've been having this laptop for about a year now. I've complained about it ever since I got it. Lately my manager finally promised me a brand new laptop. The laptop took ages to finally arrive at our office, and it was immediately snapped up by the boss, or so they told me. They also told me that the boss' laptop was less than a year old, so it should be working fine. But still I'm working on this shitty thing. WHY? Because my boss didn't come into the office for the next few days, so the transfer / exchange could not be performed. Then this colleague of mine fell ill & has to be on medical leave for 2 weeks. Talk about a series of unfortunate events. During this entire period my laptop's performance has become shittier and shittier by the day.

Now it's 6pm in the evening, the end of another working day. I'm hoping that my colleague would be back & I would be getting another old laptop that has no detects & doesn't give me the finger. Or else...

1 comment:

nothing of interest here said...

gah. i'm annoyed just reading this. imagine that. i'm having my fair share of laptop troubles as well, so i can relate. *shakes head gravely* my condolences.