Monday, March 27, 2006

MSN (1)

Chatting online came into my life only 6 months ago. I know, I'm outdated. I'm not really an IT or computer savvy person. I'm different from most of my generation in that sense.

There's a whole new lingo in this "online chat" world. I don't know who started it, but everyone uses it. The new lingo, along with emoticons, helps the conversation online to be as real as possible. Nevertheless, the ill-effects are undeniable. Many in my generation are constantly making really basic spelling and grammar mistakes in writing and in speech. My dad said that in 3 years' time, most students will have such problems, and I agree.

I find some quite useful, others I just find peculiar... GTG="got to go" and BRB="be right back" is quite alright. But I have a problem with LOL="laughing out loud".

People normally use LOL to show that they are laughing. Why? Why not use "haha"? I mean, in real life conversations, what comes out from your mouth when you find something amusing or funny? Imagine a Comedy Central Presents episode where the audience doesn't laugh or clap, and instead you hear hundreds of people saying "Laughing out loud!".

And why do people put "z" or "x" behind "LOL"? I mean, i know what "LOL"  means, but how does Z or X fit into the picture? Does someone have a good explanation for this?

By the way, if you have msn and would like to add me, here's my email account - pondering84@hotmail.com .

No comments: