Monday, March 20, 2006

Public Transportation - Trains (2)

Different people respond differently to the old man or woman that comes on the train : Look away, close their eyes, read a book, talk on the phone... I remember an incident where this elderly man came into the train. To me, he looked like he was in his 50's. During the initial stages of the ride, he looked around, as though desperate to find a seat. He would sigh every now and then, pretty obvious and loud, clearly showing his frustration and disappointment toward the young people that occupied seats. A young malay lady stood up with a smile on her face and offered him her seat, but he very quickly rejected and the lady sat back down.
 
Hmm... maybe he was being a gentleman. This old man went on to say how he doesn't need to sit, as he's not that old. He even said he's only 40. Ok, I'll take his word on that.
 
The next stop came (came? but the stop was just there. it didn't move...) and a seat was made available. He spotted it, and he shouted out for the people around the seat to leave it for him. But before he could finish his sentence, the seat was already taken by someone who didn't understand his language. This really pissed him off. And from then on till the time I stepped out of the train, he was cursing loudly. What a weird contrast of responses!!
 
There's this other incident. This time I was seated comfortably. Then when we arrived at the next stop (this sounds right), 3 old ladies entered. There were no seats left for them, and they began to speak :
 
Lady A : Aiya, no more seat ar?
Lady B : Never mind lah, it's very fast one.
Lady C : Ya ya. I don't mind not sitting, as long as I get to lean on something.
I'm not sure if they intentionally speak really loud to gain attention or they just do. But I had mixed emotions to their conversation. I laughed, because that's silly talk. They can have my spot anytime. No one would want them to be injured or hurt or be uncomfortable. I gave 1 my seat, and another also did the same. In my heart, I felt sad. There's one more old lady left standing and people just don't care.
 
The fact that old people take public transport scares me. I mean, they have to endure everything that's bad about public transport with their much weakened bodies. What happened to family? Why they can't fetch their old man with their Protons? It's just a matter of going from point A to point B. Isn't that why people buy cars? To ease the hussel of travelling? I really wish that I won't have to travel with public transport when I'm 70 years old... Will I have that choice though? Hmm...

No comments: