Monday, June 26, 2006

NS + Firearms?

I read this news while I was taking my lunch break, and I thought to myself "I'm so going to blog this"... Right after I take my world cup nap, of course.
 
So here I am, wide awake (not really) and ready to go guns blazing... To read story, click here.
 
I have no idea why the NS Department is so keen to allow trainees to handle M16 assault rifle and live ammunition. WHY? WHY? I just don't get it. These 18 year olds will be handling a real gun. What values are they trying to instil in those kids? That guns are fun? That holding a gun gives you boldness? So MAYBE there's a perfect explanation to this, and there are advantages in training a bunch of 18 year olds how to handle a M16 (i can only think of one. A lame and risky one). But there is just too much risk involved in it.
 
"This follows Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's announcement that the practical training would be voluntary. Only the theory part would be compulsory. Any trainee or parent who was apprehensive about firing live bullets could apply for exemption. Furthermore, the NS Department would question the trainee before allowing him or her to go through with live firearms training."
 
What kind of questioning would be given by the NS Department? I wonder...
 
"Do you want to fire live bullets?"
"Do your parents allow you to participate in this training?"
"Would you end up pointing the firearm and shoot me?"
"Are you in a bad mood?"
"Do you hold a grudge against anyone here?"
"Would you purchase a M16 in the future?"
"Are you one of those with tendencies of violence?"
"Are you a Hitler fan?"
 
Whatever it is.... It's so risky. Let me give you several examples of situations where things would go wrong, and would go horribly wrong with the presence of M16s. These examples would be under the category of "bad". I'll leave the "horrible" and "unthinkable" situations for you to imagine.
 
1. Girl just broke up with boyfriend, because the boyfriend was cheating on her, with her best friend. All 3 are in the same training camp.
 
2. Boy plans to study the same course with the girl of his dreams. They were about to get into the same intake when boy was called up to go NS. A chance of a lifetime gone. Boy's sorrow is deepened when he receives an sms from a friend on the "outside" that the girl of his dreams got attached.
 
3. Trainee is angry with the trainer for pushing them too far in training. Same trainer is at the firing range.
 
Better be safe than sorry loh. I wonder if any politician (with a sound mind) reads my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, im no politician(at least not one with a sound mind)..but i what you says makes alot of sense!
(and it could make a super good comic strip..)

cheers