Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The World Cup 2006 (2)

These 2 teams are recent World Champions. France won it in 1998, Brazil in 2002. France were suppose to give a good fight to defend their title in the Far East, but they failed to score in any of their group matches and bowed out. They were my favourite team then... sad. The way they beat Brazil in the '98 finals just caught my attention. Just like Leeds United. They impressed me enough to make me a loyal fan, then they disappoint me by getting relegated. Brazil boasted about their ability long before the World Cup. Their manager even conceded his starting line up a month ahead. And guess what happened in their first game?

France 0 vs Switzerland 0 / Brazil 1 vs Croatia 0

France played boringly ineffective in the game. Zidane (my favourite player) played the way he did in the 3rd game of 2002, where he was rushed back from injury. I don't know what Ribery was doing. And with that performance, France has failed to win 4 consecutive World Cup group stage matches. The next picture says quite a lot of words... slightly less than a thousand, if you know what I mean. And because of their lousy game, I was too depressed that I fell asleep, missing Brazil's match... 1 goal isn't much to show for, and I hope that they will show me what Joga Bonito is all about. I hope they score many more goals in their next game.

1 comment:

vic said...

For the money most ppl lost on France, I hope France gets knocked out in the first round, and Henry remains the most under-achieving good player in the World Cup!

The way matches are going, I wonder if the bookies have a control on most of them.